Hello and Welcome to Distance Education!
New River Community College's distance education program:
- is part of the college’s effort to increase educational access and student success.
- is for students who need to pursue academic goals outside the traditional classroom setting.
- takes advantage of a variety of delivery formats including: telelectures, mixed media, computer/software, Internet/Web-based, and live two-way interactive instruction. The delivery format depends on the individual course and instructor.
- enables you to achieve your educational goals if you are committed and motivated.
You can earn the following degrees and/or certificates through distance education courses:
- Associate of Arts and Sciences in Business Administration
- Associate of Arts and Sciences in General Studies
- Associate of Arts and Sciences in Liberal Arts
- Associate of Arts and Sciences in Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Management with a Specialization in Marketing Management
- Associate of Applied Science in Administrative Support Technology
- Associate of Applied Science in Administrative Support Technology with a Specialization in Medical Administrative Support
- Associate of Applied Science in Administrative Support Technology with a Specialization in Paralegal Administrative Support
- Accounting/Keyboarding Career Studies Certificate
- Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable Career Studies Certificate
- Administrative Assistant Career Studies Certificate
- Cost Accounting Clerk Career Studies Certificate
- Health Information Management Career Studies Certificate
- Human Resource Practices Career Studies Certificate
- Medical Office Assistant Career Studies Certificate
- Medical Coding Career Studies Certificate
- Paralegal Assistant Career Studies Certificate
- Payroll Clerk Career Studies Certificate
- Accounting Certificate
- General Education Certificate
- Word Processing Certificate
How to get started in distance education?
- Visit Register for Classes to sign up for classes.
- Buy books (http://www.nr.edu/bookstore). Start coursework on the first day of classes.
- Ask questions. Student support is available through the Distance Education department email@example.com or call the Distance Education office 540-674-3614 (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., - Monday – Friday)
- Once class starts, stay connected with your instructor. Visit http://www.nr.edu, click on employee directory.
In addition to the college’s distance learning programs and support services, New River Community College's Distance Education department also manages our off-campus location at the New River Valley Mall in Christiansburg. Several full-time programs are housed there in addition to an array of college transfer courses. If you have any questions, e-mail the off-campus site at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wishing you continued successes,
Linda Capone Claussen
Director of Distance Education/Off-Campus Services
540-674-3600 ext. 4364 (main campus)