New River's program prepares students for employment in the metalworking industry.
The following examples describe some of the skills our students learn.
- Set up/operate machine tool equipment safely
- Operate all machine shop equipment: drill press, lathes, milling machines, surface grinders and computerized machine tools, etc.
- Read and interpret metal trade blueprints
- Apply shop mathematics to machine tool practices involving speeds, feeds, angular interpolation and other metal working applications
- Demonstrate skills in Computerized Numerical Control (CNC) machining