Exemptions for Placement Testing
New students are exempt from taking the placement tests if they have taken the SAT and received a score of 500 or above on critical reading and writing and/or 520 or above on math, or if they have taken the ACT and received a combined score of 21 or higher in the English and writing and/or a score of 22 or higher in math. Students must bring a copy of their scores with them to their counseling/advising appointment. Scores are valid for two (2) years from the testing date.
COURSES WITH MATHEMATICS PRE-REQUISITES and/or LIMITATIONS (MTH 173/271/240, PHY 201)
1. Students desiring to enroll in these courses must complete mathematics placement testing and demonstrate the required level of proficiency in order to enroll.
2. Please note that MTH 173, MTH 271, and PHY 201 carry a prerequisite that includes a college-level mathematics course. There is NO PSAT, SAT or ACT score that will qualify a student for these courses.
3. Students who have completed the college-level mathematics course specified in the pre-requisite do not need to complete testing. Students who have not completed the college-level mathematics course specified in the pre-requisite must complete testing and receive a placement recommendation.
4. Students with qualifying PSAT, SAT or ACT scores meet the MTE 1-9 math requirements. To enroll in Calculus (MTH 173), those students need to complete the Calculus portion of the VPT-Math. When administering the assessment for these students, select “VPT Calc Only”. Students must notify the testing center staff if they are selecting this option only.
5. PSAT/SAT/ACT scores cannot be used to allow enrollment in MTH 241, MTH 271 or PHY 201. Students must have completed MTH 115, MTH 163, or MTH 166 or received a placement recommendation for MTH 271 to enroll in PHY 201. Students must have completed MTH 163 or 166 or received a placement recommendation for MTH 271 in order to enroll in MTH 271 or MTH 241.