Welding Program Objectives
The overall objective of the welding certificate program at New River Community College is to prepare the student for full-time employment in the welding industry. In addition to certification in three major welding processes, the following skills are also covered:
- The set-up and operation of computerized, numerically controlled cutting machines.
- Operation of all auxiliary shop fabrication equipment: drill press, horizontal cut-off saw, metal shear, pipe beveling machine, etc.
- Reading and interpretation of welding blueprints.
- The application of shop mathematics to practical welding and testing exercises.
- The operation of plasma and air carbon arc cutting equipment.
- The use of hand held oxy-acetylene cutting torches.
- Demonstrate practical knowledge of basic welding metallurgy and weld inspection skills.