Frequently Asked Questions
- Why do I have to take the English placement test for a math class?
All dual enrollment courses require placement tests in both English and math. PSAT scores can be used as an exemption for some courses.
However，if the student has not taken the R/W PSAT, then the student MUST test in English.
- How many sections are in the math placement test?
The number of sections depends on the student. For most students it will be two sections of 30 questions.
However, sometimes the test will start testing the student by each unit. The students should prepare to test anywhere from 60-120 questions.
- What happens if I do not meet the placement requirements on the placement test? Can I still take a dual
No; the VCCS requires all students to meet eligibility and placement requirements. A student may be exempt from testing
depending on the course by using other qualifying scores. Please see eligibility chart or
speak with the counselor at your school.
- How do I request NRCC transcripts?
View Transcript Requests
- How do I obtain my EMPLID?
Please contact your high school counselor.
- How do I obtain login information to access CANVAS and NRCC’s Online Library?
Contact Kassey Hall at 540-674-3611.
- What is a drop/withdraw and how does it affect my NRCC transcript?
"Drop" Removes student from course with no record of enrollment on transcript.
"Withdraw" Removes student from class with a “W” grade. “W” grades are not calculated in the student's GPA but will reflect on NRCC transcript.
- How do dual enrollment credits transfer?
All dual enrollment credits apply toward to NRCC degrees, diplomas, and certificates. Please consult with the four-year college or university of your choice
to determine transferability of dual courses as they transfer differently.
- How many times can I take the placement test?
Any student may test in both English and math twice per year.
- How much does a dual enrollment course cost?
There is no cost to the student for enrollment in dual enrollment courses at the high schools in our service region.
HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT NRCC?
NRCC IN DUBLIN:
5251 College Drive
Dublin, VA 24084
Toll Free: 866-462-6722
Fax: (540) 674-3642
782 New River Road NW, Suite 400
Christiansburg, VA 24073
Fax: (540) 381-7128